Resources

Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Identify your Ancestor in that Photo! Challenge - Day 3

I'm following along with Lisa Talbott Lisson's challenge to see if I can identify the people in this photo.


My previous posts are here and here, if you'd like to see what I've discovered so far - which isn't very much, I'm afraid!

Lisa's tip for Day 3 is to search Google for any matching images, just in case another researcher is perhaps on the trail of this family.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any matches.

However, closer inspection of the photo has revealed to me that the man on the left is wearing what I think is a Salvation Army uniform.

I've searched around a bit and the Salvation Army's site advises me that the organisation commenced work in the Australian colonies of South Australia, New South Wales, and Victoria between 1880 and 1882.  So the logical conclusion is that the photograph must have been taken after those years.

So that's where I'm up to now - still not close to a conclusion, but further forward than I was.

My next steps will be to:

  • contact my cousin for ANY more information I can get;
  • research whether any of Thomas' and Mary's children were members of the Salvation Army or married a member of the Salvation Army.

I wonder what Day 4 will bring?





No comments:

Post a Comment