Resources

Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Merry Month of May Movie Meme

Over on her blog, Pauline has challenged fellow bloggers to take part in her Merry Month of May Movie Meme, and who am I to refuse her?

She has provided a list of questions and here are my answers, which took longer to do than I thought!  Hope they are of some interest :-)

Here we go:

What’s the earliest movie you can remember:
Bedknobs and Broomsticks - a Disney movie that we went to see during school holidays at the old Theatre Royal in Mackay (Queensland).  I think I was about 10 years old at the time.  I'm sure we'd been to the movies before that, but I don't recall it.

Where did you go to the movies (place or type of venue):
Clearly, the Theatre Royal was one of the places I went to.  I remember it seemed very "posh" to me, having been originally built in 1912 and upgraded in 1936.  There was lots of plush carpet, gilt mirrors, and beautiful upholstery - but sadly it was all demolished in 1990.

Theatre Royal Mackay, 1970's
Exterior (above) and Interior (below)
Both pictures are from the archives of Mackay Regional Council and the Mackay Historical Society


We also went to the Civic Theatre in the main street of Mackay, which was also a bit getting a bit rundown - though I thought it was very sophisticated :-)  And then, there was the drive-in :-)

Did you buy movie programs:
No; I don't think they had them!

Did you take in food and drink (and what did you like):
I think we had ice-creams and I do remember rolling Jaffa's down the aisles when I was older (hehe)

Movies of your teenage years:
Jaws; Alien; Rocky; Mad Max; Saturday Night Fever; The Sting; Smoky and the Bandit; Kramer vs Kramer - so many!!

Do you remember how old you were when you went unsupervised:
I think we always went into the cinema unsupervised.  My brother, sister and I had to stay together though.  Mum would always deliver us to the cinema, and collect us from outside.

Mischief you got up to in the movies:
See above reference to Jaffa's!  That's about it, I think.  I do remember getting into BIIIIIGGGGG trouble when I went to the drive-in with a group of friends - I was about 17, I think - and a "dusk-to-dawn" showing was happening.  We were supposed to leave after the 11.00pm finish and be home by midnight, but we opted to stay for the rest of the night and I didn't get home till almost 6.00am.  This was before we even had a phone in our house, let alone mobile phones, so you can imagine the state my mother was in!

Did you watch movies at home:
Every Saturday night, we watched "Disneyland" for whatever was on.  I remember endless episodes of "Lassie"; there were movies like "The Love Bug".  And during the Christmas school holidays, there was always "Summer Holiday" with Cliff Richard, lots of westerns with John Wayne and Gary Cooper, and occasional Elvis movies too.

What was your favourite movie to watch at home:
As a child, it was probably "Sound of Music"; now it's the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy :-)

Do you prefer to watch movies at home or at the cinema:
I enjoy both.  I still love the "occasion" of going to the cinema, buying tickets and snacks, racing in for the best seats, the big screen and the big surround sound.  And I also enjoy watching movies (on DVD) at home with my family.  I don't enjoy watching movies put on by commercial TV stations because I can't stand the ads!

Does your family have a special movie memory:
We have a family tradition that, every year, we go to the cinema on Boxing Day and see whatever new movie has been released.  It's always a lot of fun and a nice relaxing way to wind down from Christmas Day :-)

Movies you fell in love to/with:
Nothing that I recall.

Favourite romantic movie theme music:
No idea!  I'm not very musically-aware, and can never identify music or songs or themes.

Favourite musical movie:
Rocky Horror Picture Show

Which movies made you want to dance/sing:
Rocky Horror Picture Show; Mamma Mia; Grease; Saturday Night Fever; Fame - to name a few.  Not that I can actually sing, but I love to scare my family with the noise I make [LOL]

Do you watch re-runs or DVDs of old movies:
Not re-runs (see above reference to annoying ads), but certainly I watch DVD's over and over again.

Do your children/family enjoy the same movies:
Yes and no.  Across the generations, we all love "Lord of the Rings", "Grease", "Sound of Music", "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert", "Love Actually".  But the younger ones are really into some of the "rom-com's" that just make me cringe.

What’s your favourite movie genre now:
Probably fantasy, and gentle comedy ala "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" and its sequel.

Did you read the book before or after the movie:
Neither.  I read books.  If they happen to be made into a movie, then I generally don't want to see it.

Which did you enjoy more, the book or the movie:
See above.

What’s the silliest movie you’ve seen (silly funny or silly annoying):
Silly annoying: anything with Chevy Chase in it - remember those terrible 'family vacation' movies he did.  Ugh - makes me shudder just to think of them!

Pet hate in movies:
Background sound and music that overpowers the dialogue; and 3D movies - hate'em!

A movie that captures family history for you:
This might be a bit weird, but I think it's "The DaVinci Code" - the search for clues in strange places, the frantic confused search that keeps us looking for that next bit that will reveal all, and the great desire we have to be connected to our families and to our past - however strange that turns out to be.

If you could only play 5 movies for the rest of your life, what would they be:
Oh my goodness, how to choose [gasp] ... "Lord of the Rings" trilogy (which I'm totally counting as 1); "Love Actually"; "The Castle"; "Pirates of the Caribbean" (another trilogy which I'm counting as 1 hehe)  - no, there's too many to choose from.

Favourite movie stars (go ahead and list as many as you like):
Johnny Depp; George Clooney; Liam Neeson; Meryl Streep; Judi Dench; Maggie Smith; Alan Rickman; Patrick Stewart; Ian McKellen; Cate Blanchett; Emma Thompson - I'm much more partial to English and Australian actors and movies than I am to American efforts.

Well, I think that's it!  Thank you, Pauline, for the prompts.  It's reminded me of a few stories that I need to add to my "book of me" :-)


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in Eunice, you reminded me of movies I'd forgotten like Kramer vs Kramer and some I've never seen (Rocky Horror...sorry) not to mention Chevy Chase (ugh!!) Your poor mum must have been beside herself when you didn't come home...I wonder what punishment ensued...banned from the drive-in for life? The Mackay theatre sounded very flash...must ask my friend if she went there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange that I don't remember the punishment? It was probably well-deserved, I reckon! Thanks for reading, Pauleen :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you counted Lord of the Rings as one - I did the same! What a boon mobile phones are when parenting teenagers. Your poor mother! I am very jealous of drive-ins as we don't have them over here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have many left in Australia either, Kathryn; I think they're a bit of a rarity nowadays!

      Delete
  3. I've been enjoying these Merry posts so was pleased to see yours pop up today. You've reminded me of more movies that I had seen, enjoyed and forgotten - thanks for the prompts.

    On another note I try to follow all the Australian genealogy blogs that are around but, to date, have missed yours. I'm grateful to Pauleen's challenge for alerting me to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill; I'm not sure that my blog is anything worth following, but thanks for checking it out anyway :-)

      Delete